Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Australia ~ Day 12

After our day on the Great Barrier Reef we decided it was finally time to do a little laundry and enjoy a day of shopping and maybe a little sight seeing.

I'm really amazed how close everything is in this part of the country.  We would make plans for a whole day out and it would only take about 30 minutes to get there, a lot less then I had figured for!  But I guess that's what made the vacation so jammed packed full of stuff but still so laid back and stress free that we didn't notice how much we actually did.

Mom's panorama from our balcony the morning of our 12th day.
We found a great place to go to.  The owner was there folding clothes of people that just drop their stuff off to get done.  It was a very clean and nice laundry mat.  When I pulled out my Tide the guy said he was so jealous.  That they couldn't get Tide there and it did the best work.  I wrote down his address and I may just send him a bunch of Tide just because :)

As our 2 loads of laundry were washing we sat and had some toast and jelly at the near by cafe.


While we were enjoying our toast we heard some of the loudest screeches coming from a tree in the middle of the street.  I thought it was just the pesky Lorikeets they have everywhere in this part of the country but I was wrong!  We saw a guy taking photos of the tree so we decided to go check it out too.  It wasn't full of birds at all.......it was full of BATS!

FLYING FOXES that is :)








Now that was something I'll never forget!  I've never seen so many bats in one place!!!!!

After our laundry was done and folded (we did it ourselves by the way) we headed to find Trinity Beach.  It was a nice little beach area with great sea shell finds!









After the beach we went back to Kuranda to walk around the shops and do some more shopping.  We hadn't really bought any souvineers up to this date because we were spending money on everything we wanted to do first.  Since this was basically the last main thing we wanted to do in Australia (minus the last stuff in Sydney) we got a ton of stuff for ourselves and family and friends today.

This candy shop was amazing.  The little hard candies were my favorite and we got to watch how they were made.  It was crazy to see how they actually made the banana part in the center.  Several different slabs of colored taffy stuff layered then rolled together then more added and rolled together.  I can't believe it really turned out like it did.  So worth it going to see this made!



Mom and I both bought our Didgeridoos today too!  I bought a "teen" sized one because I was hoping it would fit in my suitcase.  I had no idea how flying home with it would work (which turned out to be completely fine after you explained to people what the heck a didgeridoo was LOL)  Mom bought a really cool round one!  I don't have a picture of it but I'll have to have her send me one and get it on here too.

We also stopped at a German restaurant and got lunch......it again wasn't the best but it was good.


One of the main things mom wanted to get was a knife for my nephew Tod.  This proved to be more difficult then we thought it was going to be.  We found a gun store (which was harder then expected) and the guy there didn't have anything made in Australia.  We sat there talking to him for quite a while about the gun laws and all that kind of stuff and of course politics in America.  I had no idea that guns weren't allowed to be owned by individuals in Australia.  Guess that's why they use boomerangs LOL

Since the gun store owner didn't have a knife, he sent us to the mall across the street that had a store that "should" have one.  We did find one at that store so that was a bonus.  We did walk around all the other stores too and found this really cool Finska game.  Seemed to be something mom could make a set of and play it so I took pictures for her.  Can't wait to try it out.



After that running around we just went back to the hotel and chilled the rest of the night.  We sat on the balcony and watched the lorikeets in the trees and enjoyed the sunset.  I'm so glad I spent the little extra and got this amazing room.  It's exactly what life should be like on vacation!





And there you have it, a day of shopping down in the books!  I have NO IDEA how we are going to get all this stuff home but we will figure it out one way or another :)

~Till Next Time~

No comments: